3rd Quarter 2019-20: January 13th- March 6th
“Encouraging Healthy Habits for DIS Students and Families”
#1 Do it – Participate!
The activities are organized into different aspects of wellness (nutrition, fitness, lifestyle/mindfulness) and we encourage you to try to complete at least one item from every category of the challenge. Some activities are one-time events, but most are meant to be completed each week during the entire challenge period, i.e. building healthy habits!
#2 Show off! – Share your photos
Check on the current, Choose ONE Thing 2020 Photo Challenge and share by emailing digital photos to Nurse Cohen at CohenA@bcsdschools.net or sending hard copies to your homeroom teacher, labeled “Attention Nurse Cohen”. Include name, grade, teacher for every student in the photo, as well as a description of the activity shown.
Stay tuned for new themed photo challenges throughout the year!
Photos will be displayed on the wellness bulletin board next to the PTA room in the E hall.
#3 Win Prizes! – For positive reinforcement beyond better wellness
Raffles will be held quarterly to recognize students who participate in the Photo Challenges. Past raffle prizes have included RiverDogs baseball tickets, a free climb at Wild Blue Ropes, kinesthetic classroom equipment shared by the winners and their classmates, and more!
#4 Be Informed! – Check out our resources below or research your own
- Drink Water – Click here to review the basics of why water drinking is so important for health.
- Get involved in our very own Daniel Island School and Community Garden. The next work day is Saturday September 21st, children welcome with adult supervision. For more information about the DISCG, contact Julie Hughes at firstname.lastname@example.org or find Daniel Island School andCommunity Garden on Facebook.
- Plan ahead – How to cook roasted vegetables for a whole week of healthy meals.
- Try one of these healthy dips. 5 healthy dips that up your lunch game.
- Veggies for breakfast. 20 ways to each more veggies at breakfast.
- Find fun ways to add healthy twists, like celebrating Dr. Seuss ‘ birthday with Green Eggs and Ham. Find more easy and delicious breakfast ideas here.
- How to – plant a home vegetable garden from Clemson Extension (with regional planting dates).
- Did your grandmother ever tell you to slow down and chew your food? She was right! Various experts recommend chewing your food up to 30 times before swallowing. Learn the basics of Mindful Eating.
- Review important bike safety and pedestrian safety tips, and DIS How to get home safety tips sheet.
- Make physical activity part of your family routine.
- Get silly with some fun family activities that can double as play and exercise.
- Try some fun workouts involving the whole family.
- How Exercising Together Makes Your Family Stronger.
- Find an Event with: Charleston Running Club calendar or Running in the USA’s awesomely searchable Race Calendar.
- Why 60 minutes of aerobic activity per day? And what’s “moderate to vigorous”? See CDC recommendations and tips for daily, youth physical activity here.
Yoga, Mindfulness and More
- CosmicKids offers a collection of videos – yoga, mindfulness, meditation, stories and dance. Themes include Minecraft, Frozen, Star Wars, The Very Hungry Caterpillar and much more.
- Read about some mindful breathing exercises for kids.
- Sleep More, Sleep Better – Check out this great sleep calculator that allows you to calculate recommendations by age and wake time. It also includes tips on setting healthy sleep routine.
- What’s a Gratitude Journal?
- Think outside the toy box for holiday gift giving! Get inspired with this great guide.
- Healthier (but still fun) Alternative Halloween treats.
Questions? Email Wellness Coordinator Andrea Jones at email@example.com